Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Framed Papers on the Walls.

A little bit about me.

I'm a 23 year old girl who lives with her parents. That's right, you did not read that incorrectly, I live with my parents. Why would I do such a thing? Well that's a great question. At this point I don't really know why. It started out as a temporary situation in which I had graduated from college, I was going to graduate school full-time and working part-time. That turned into interning for PR firm full-time and going to school part-time. And now, today, I am working for a consulting firm full-time and then some - and going to graduate school part-time. Crazy? Yes. Enjoyable? Not so much.

So why did I go to graduate school immediately following undergrad? Another great question. Yet again, I don't really know why. I guess that you can chalk it up to family academic pressure. My dad has his masters and PhD in economics (SICK); my mom has a masters in teaching biology & administration; my sister just finished her masters in communciation (which I am currently "pursuing"). So essentially, one of the main resons that I'm getting a masters in the first place is so that I'm not the categorical 'loser' of the family.

So I am working and getting a masters in communication - and yet I am so bored that I often find myself daydreaming about moving to a tropical island, changing my name to Ocean and making shell jewelry for tourists. What is the point of all this stress that I am most certainly creating for myself? I get up, go to work, shoot off some e-mails, push around some papers, then dehumanize myself some more by trying to get home on the metro. And for what? Minor duckets? Lines on the old res-u-me? ALL GOOD QUESTIONS. None of which I have answers for.

No comments: